Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Title
    Premium Member

FC vs Winchester brass

Figured id ask people who know more than me.
    Do you prefer Federal brass or Winchester brass? And why?
    .243 if it matters

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    I’ve never noticed a significant difference. I buy whichever was more available/cheaper. For 9mm and other straight wall pistol At least.

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Clcraig View Post
    I’ve never noticed a significant difference. I buy whichever was more available/cheaper. For 9mm and other straight wall pistol At least.

Yeah for pistol I’ve never noticed either. I know bottle neck it does make a difference. I think it matters more to keep the same head stamp than it does manufacture.

Title
    Premium Member
    I've used quite a bit of Federal and Winchester brass for my 308 loads over the decades.

In general I've found the Federal to be a little thicker, and a bit softer. The primer pockets tend to enlarge rapidly and the brass can become useless after being loaded and fired a few times. I'm using near max level loads.

In general I've found the Winchester to be a little thinner, and harder. It tends to last a doggone long time.

Have built very accurate ammo with each type. I got a lot of Federal Gold Medal 308 brass for nothing, so continue to use it quite a bit. Just loaded some this morning. Once it's done, I just toss it.

If you wanted some real premium type brass, consider either Lapua, Norma, or Nosler. I've happily used those as well. Seems to be less brass-prep involved with those brands, but they are more expensive.

Regards, Guy

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guy View Post
    I've used quite a bit of Federal and Winchester brass for my 308 loads over the decades.

In general I've found the Federal to be a little thicker, and a bit softer. The primer pockets tend to enlarge rapidly and the brass can become useless after being loaded and fired a few times. I'm using near max level loads.

In general I've found the Winchester to be a little thinner, and harder. It tends to last a doggone long time.

Have built very accurate ammo with each type. I got a lot of Federal Gold Medal 308 brass for nothing, so continue to use it quite a bit. Just loaded some this morning. Once it's done, I just toss it.

If you wanted some real premium type brass, consider either Lapua, Norma, or Nosler. I've happily used those as well. Seems to be less brass-prep involved with those brands, but they are more expensive.

Regards, Guy
    This is great info thank you very much. I’m going to use up the rest of the brass I have then I will most likely invest in quality stuff.

Title
    Premium Member
    You're welcome. I used to compete in NRA long-range prone matches, well mostly 600 yard matches 'cause that's what my local gun club has. Used the 308 Win exclusively for several years and wore out a few barrels. Earned my long-range high master rank from the NRA, and never won another match going against the big boys!

I found that Winchester brass, prepped well, shot "high master" scores no problem. And it was a lot cheaper than the Lapua stuff. Nosler wasn't selling brass then.

Had to give up the prone competition due to neck injuries but I still load for and use the heck out of my 308 rifle.

Regards, Guy